It’s no surprise that unstructured data and content naturally come with many challenges. But oftentimes companies must choose between these two ditches of the common lift-and-shift or a fully manual migration method. Not to mention migration without knowing what files you’re moving can be risky. But there is a new methodology, a third option that we call automated intelligent file migration.
Automated Intelligent File Migration
Although fairly new technology, intelligent data migration uses classification technology within the context of a migration scenario. Now organizations can discover and classify unstructured data before and during migration.
Once you know what data you’re working with, you can make an informed decision on how exactly to migrate your files and manage your growing volume of unstructured data.
Intelligent file migration points a classification engine at a content source, then classifies that content (such as an invoice, agreement, contract, etc.). Next, the engine searches that content for any potential CCPA, CPRA, GDPR, etc. sensitive type of data. The engine can then pre-tag those documents, similar to a coin sorter.
12 Steps to an Automated Intelligent File Migration Infographic
So what do you do with all of this data that continues to grow over time? Well, you could do the common lift-and-shift migration method. Or you could try even manually reviewing all of your content, but that often requires a lot of resources and manpower. Or, you could follow these 12 steps:
- Point a classification engine at a content source
- Classify content as a statement of work, invoice, or something else
- Scan for sensitive data such as CCPA (CPRA), HIPAA, GDPR, PII, etc.
- Use multiple classification techniques to improve confidence
- Identify your migration waves based on content type and sensitivity
- Plan your execution timeline
- Determine your migration cutover process
- Design a change management process
- Dynamically drive migration endpoint based on classification tag and sensitivity
- Execute transfer of content to endpoint
- Review any migrated, unclassified, or remaining content
- Archive full chain of custody audit log for migrated content for audit purposes
Is an intelligent migration the solution your organization needs to flash a light on its unstructured content? Find out here.