SkySync is a rapidly evolving, fast-paced, venture-backed software innovator based in the Ann Arbor tech cluster with remote Syncopaths in all US time zones. Our quirky and unique workforce excels at managing our customer’s data migration, synchronization, and orchestration challenges like no other in our space and we have new product opportunities taking us toward a period of rapid growth.
We are seeking a Product Manager to work collaboratively with project stakeholders to perform research, evaluate competition, refine requirements, produce specifications, and assist marketing for new and existing products. The Product Manager will need a mix of experience, domain knowledge, business analysis, technical acumen, and strong communication skills to succeed. They will own and execute the creation of various product strategy, specification, roadmap, and sales deliverables that are based on customer and market needs. This is a US based position only. Strong preference will be given to candidates in the Ann Arbor, MI or Denver, CO metropolitan areas.
About the Role
The Product Manager links our marketing, sales, customer success, and engineering teams and plans the roadmap accordingly for our Sync, Migrate, and VNext products. Knowledge of SaaS management platforms and applications is strongly preferred. Basic knowledge of content management (ECM, OCR, Cloud Content Management) platforms is a core skill and the more experience you have with data Migration or “digital transformation” projects the better. A solid background in competitive analysis and research will help you set the roadmap, and if you know AI and machine learning technologies that will set us up well for the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Product Manager will work closely with marketing, sales and customers success teams to define strategic direction, then work with the engineering team (Architects, Developers, QA) to refine the requirements and make prioritization decisions.
The Product Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Perform requirements gathering and documentation using workshops, interviews, and documentation reviews.
- Interface with executives and other stakeholders as needed to understand scope and priority, applying a good understanding of business systems and industry requirements.
- Translate business requirements into functional and non-functional requirements in clearly documented specifications that are actionable by development and testing groups.
- Build constructive relationships with executives, engineering management, and other stakeholders.
- Research programming, database, configuration, and network solutions to meet business needs. Identify constraints, dependencies, assumptions, risks and issues.
- Devise and/or modify procedures to solve complex business problems in many forms (process flowcharts, cost benefit analysis, financial feasibility studies, software analysis and review, GAP analysis).
- Perform project management, UX design, and quality assurance on smaller projects. Coordinate with Project Management, UX and QA teams on larger projects.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a product manager, product owner, or similar experience in competitive technical business analysis will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to research, define and analyze business problems.
- Ability to work with external clients and internal users to translate product vision into detailed, clearly written functional specifications for software development and for enhancement of existing software.
- Experience writing functional requirements and specifications for large, complex COTS software development projects.
- Minimum 5 years of combined professional experience (technical or functional) with the domains and platforms related to file analysis, SaaS management, content management, and/or related disciplines.
- Demonstrated basic project management, testing, and GUI design skills.
- Comfortable working with technical and non-technical groups and bringing them together.
- Hands-on experience and technical credibility in large scale environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment.
- Must be proficient with Office applications, including Visio, and MS Project or similar tools.
Additional Helpful Experience
- Experience in multiple roles from developer, QA engineer, business analyst, sales engineer disciplines.
- Experience working in an Agile-Lean (Scrum) development environment.
This position is a great fit for you if you like to take a high level vision and help translate that into actionable software requirements and designs. You are detail oriented, have creativity, and think critically. You also know how to handle competing priorities, potential distractions, and differing points of view. You empathize with customers and have a passion for delivering great user experiences.
This position is not a great fit for you if you like large organization stability, extensive hierarchies or matrix organizations, and a relatively unchanging set of duties and responsibilities. You also prefer environments which have a low level of distraction with many others in the organization to help you. You avoid conflict and making difficult decisions.
Qualities Needed for Success
Excellent analytical, listening and people skills are a must. You should be able to demonstrate capability in a majority of, if not all, the duties and responsibilities above. You should be multi-disciplined and able to show an ability to learn new people-specific and technical skills quickly. You should be a visual person, comfortable communicating with diagrams and UX flow mocks.